Pages

Sunday 10 March 2013

Evaluation Two



Word Doc:

Evaluation 2: How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?

Having had my briefs I automatically understood that the three tasks would combine to effectively becoming a campaign to raise awareness of my chosen artist and his materials. Having a unifying theme throughout is one of the most important thing as your audience need to recognise the style and genre of the artist, this is also to prevent the products to be mistaken for another artist. I believed that my work was successful in creating an in-house theme with the funky, edgy and urban theme throughout. In all my products there is a graffiti style, whether in the locations on the walls and environment or in the background of the posters. Another way I created the theme was simply by using images and videos from the same shoot. This allows all my products to be similar in location, costume and artist. An obvious and conventional way of creating a reoccurring theme is through the use of colour. I decided to use lots of bright colours but for the print productions I decided to use the undertones of cool blues and grey. It created a cool and laid back feel which I felt reflected my artist’s personality. It also allowed the font and important information to be highlighted red. I felt red was a colour of urgency and had the ability to immediately draw attention from the reader. The red used was a interpretation of the artists material, something that is bold and exciting.

As stated I created the unifying theme by doing all photographs on the set of the video shoot. This meant that I had to plan and understand all the microelements that would make my music video look professional and appealing. A music video is a short film, video or montage of footage that accompanies a piece of music. It is used to market and promote the sales of the music. I wanted to promote the artist as someone the audience could relate to and to create a feel good vibe. After researching different dance genre music video’s I decided that the best way of creating a feel good vibe is to have a music video with lots of people, high energy and a narrative that ends well. I felt I was successful in creating the good atmosphere and excitable vibe as the song I chose was upbeat, fun and the dancers were high in energy and had positive attitudes. This translates to the audience allows them to enjoy the video as a form of entertainment which makes the music and video more appealing.

I also intended for my music video to be relatable to the audience about the struggle and triumphs in life, however I did not want to make it too complicated or over the top. This lead me to create the narrative where my artist was not happy with where he was and he went ‘searching for truth/ something different’ where he leads the audience down to a basement. This allows the audience to use their imagination of where he ends up which is appealing as the audience gets a choice as it could be where they would want to be after their own struggles. This uses the gratification of personal identity as the music video allows the audience to reflect on their own life and where they want to be.

The purpose of a music video is to establish a visual representation of an artist or band, providing an audience with a first impression of them and to existing fans, to fulfil expectations. After researching Example I found that he has a very bold personality and has a street / old school style. This allowed me to dress my artist accordingly in vintage Air Max 1’s, body warmer and branded hoody. This allows the audience to recognise the style and appreciate it.

The Digipacks are just as important as the music video itself as it was created to give the CD a more visual and creative way of merchandising itself. Especially with the rise of digital downloads less and less people are buying physical CD’s, there fore the importance of Digipacks have a risen as they are able to persuade and capture the attention of audiences as collectables. As the digipak had to eye catching and creative I firstly decided to have an eight sided digipak, this automatically differs from regular digipaks as it has more sides and I designed it so there are more fold outs. This is appealing as it seems that the audience are getting more for their money as opposed to a regular 4 sided digipak. Another way in which my digipak was successful was through the blend of realistic photos and computer generated designs. This is unique and creates a surreal design for the audience to look at which again makes it appealing. The visuals on the digipak correspond to the other productions and the bold colours are suitable to grab the reader’s attention.

When an album is launched the marketing is very important as it could determine the success of failure of an album. Advertisement allows the audience/community to be aware of the new product and acknowledges it. I felt the best way to reach my audience was to use extremely bold and visually appealing artwork in my adverts. For both I decided again use the graffiti art in the background of the adverts, I felt it was full of character and personality which reflected my artist. I also ensured for both I used large and bold font that would reflect the genre of the artist which would appeal the correct target audience.

In the magazine adverts, the first one was created on a pale blue and grey background with unique and retro stencil art. I felt this was most appropriate setting as it was subtle enough to withhold important information on the pages that would enable the reader to get more information if they were interested. I felt the name of the artist was most important so I used contrasting colours to make it stand out the most. This allows it to be on the forefront of the readers mind and may stick with them for the rest of the day. Another feature that I felt appealed to my audiences and interested them was through the body language and facial expression of my artist. I felt his unprepared stance made it look unusual and allows the audience to become eager to find out more.

In the second advertisement I thought I would use more vivid colours to catch the reader’s eye. As the adverts purpose it to promote the new album I believed it was appropriate to include an image of the CD cover which allows it to be recognisable and the audience will be able to identify it in the shops if they were to buy one. For the artists stance in this advert I felt a laid back feel ensures the audience do not feel pressured to buy the album.

A billboard advertisement is very important as it is exposed to more people and a larger variety of people, not to mention all the other billboards fighting for attention. I decided to use a highly recognised iconic design inspired from Run DMC to attract interest. I felt that using a recognisable style would attract the audience as they would believe it is something interesting. I also included a realistic image with ‘Example Lane’ to suggest ownership and power. This attracts the audience as they will feel that if it is powerful there should be a reason why and become interested.

I believe that my products serve their purposes very well as they all appeal to the audiences and attain interest. I feel the products are also very marketable and would have been a successful campaign in raising the artist’s profile.





No comments:

Post a Comment